Saturday, November 12, 2011

2011 Morewood Makulu Season Review

This is my review of the 2011 season spent on my Morewood Makulu.















Frame:     2011 Morewood Makulu, Med, Red
Fork:       2011 Marzocchi 888 EVO TI
Shock:     Cane Creek Double Barrel, w/ TI Spring
Bars:        Spank Spike 777 EVO, Red
Stem:       Marzocchi 50mm, Black
Grips:       ODI TLD, Red
Brakes:     Formula The One FR, 203mm Rotors
Headset:   Cane Creek 110, Red
Seatpost:   Woodman LS, Gold
Seatclamp: Woodman TI Bolts, Gold
Saddle:       SDG Falcon, TI Rails, Red/Black
Cranks:       MRP Camber 170mm, Black
Pedals:        Crank Bro's Mallet 3....Spank Spike Flats, Red
Chainguide:  MRP G2 SL, Black
Chainring:     MRP 37T
Chainring Bolts:   Vuelta Bolt Set, Red
Chain:           SRAM 10spd
Shifter:          SRAM XO, Redbush Red
Derailleur:      SRAM X9 10spd, Red
Cable Set:     Aztec, Black
Cassette:       PG-1080, 11-26, Red
Hubs:            Hope PRO-2, Polished, 32h
Spokes:        DT Swiss Champion, Black
Nipples:        DT Swiss, Gold
Rims:            Spank Subrosa, 32h, Black
Tires:            Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5, Maxxis High Roller II 2.4

My first ride on the Makulu was at the Windham WC race in Windham, New York. I was given the chance to ride and race Fabien Cousinie from team Morewood Unitedride's factory Fox equipped Makulu.

This was a custom sized frame with a degree slacker head angle than stock. I can say I was more than blown away with everything on the bike. This particular bike was a bit big but was still really good. The first thing I noticed was how confidence inspiring the bike is. I could immediately put the bike where I wanted and it tracked like a dream.


The rear swingarm is extremely stiff and really translates well to the trail. The rear suspension is very responsive on small hits and take the bigger stuff very well. I have not ridden a linkage driven single pivot that responds that well to terrain and still pedals really well. It is the definition of fast.

The 2.1:1 leverage ratio is fantastic, coming off a Commencal Supreme DH with a much higher ratio the Makulu blows the Supreme away. Pedal feedback is virtually non-existent. It is extremely stable in the air and and really sticks to the ground. I must reiterate the fact that this bike just simply makes you go faster. I am now riding sections of tracks faster than I should but I'm still comfortable enough to go faster. I can push this bike and keep pushing. The more time I spend on it the faster it gets.



I am very happy with this bike and I love every minute I spend on it.

Thanks for reading!!

1 comment: