Monday, November 7, 2011

Morewood Kalula Review

The great people over at Unrealcycles have been nice enough to recently let me demo the Morewood Kalula. Before this bike I didn't know much about Morewood  but I did some research and found out both through the internet searching and first hand that they make some pretty rad bikes!


The Kalula is Morewood's 7 inch "lite" downhill bike. I don't think you can categorize this bike nor should you try. I've been riding it for almost two weeks now and every time I throw my leg over it I am smiling from the first pedal stroke to the last corner I hit. 



This bike is the little sibling to the Makulu, Morewoods 8 inch full on downhill race sled. It is set up extremely nice with a Fox 36 Vanilla 180 front fork and a Cane Creek Double Barrel in the rear. I'm guessing on the weight but I feel as if it can't be far off from the 34lb area. It feels lite enough when its a flat pedal but heavy enough on the decent that I don't have to worry about it bouncing all over the trails. 



Since riding this bike I have seen my confidence level rise. The angles on the bike are so forgiving and with the  suspension set up the way it is I am able to attack a few of the rock gardens that I use to have to be a little tentative with before. I am not saying the bike is a plow, I feel like it likes to be finessed through rough sections but it just soaks everything up. Also the faster and harder you ride this bike the better it seems to react. And with the single crown it handles technical tight trails awesome. 


Coming out of corners the bike feels energetic, the pedal efficiency is great from a bike in its class. It really does so many things well. After a few rides I was itching to get up on our jump line and hit some of the sections that have alluded me so far this season. After one rip through I was sold. The bike felt so natural in the air and I felt like I could really manipulate it if I needed to. I was able to hit and clear three pretty big jumps that before this bike I had only ridden around.


It amazed me what this bike could really soak up. We have one trail that has a 7-8 foot rock drop to relatively flat. Again before this bike I never felt confident enough to launch. Well a few days ago I figured I had the equipment mine as well give it a shot. Man I was impressed 8 foot to almost flat and felt great, super smooth. All in all I am stoked with the bike, I've actually been pricing them out. I feel for the riding that I like to do this bike is perfect. I'm not sure I would need all that an 8 inch bike has to offer, and I'm almost positive I wouldn't even ride this bike to its potential. But what ever level I am riding it to it sure is fun !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment